UMUC Biology 102/103
Lab 4: Enzymes
• On your own and without assistance, complete this Lab4AnswerForm electronically and submit it via Assignments by the date listed on your Course Schedule (under Content – Syllabus). NOTE: The Assignment tab closes promptly @ 11:59 PM ET and will not be available even a minute past the deadline. Save your Lab4AnswerForm in the following format: LastName_Lab4 (e.g., Smith_Lab4).
• I will be posting feedback under a private Lab 4 Feedback group in the Discussions after I have graded all the labs. You will gain access to the private Lab 4 area if you submit a complete lab on time.
• You must submit your document in a Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) to receive credit. I cannot open Works or WordPerfect files.
Experiment 1: Enzymes in Food (15 pts)
Table 1: Substance vs. Starch Presence
Substance Resulting Color Presence of Starch?
Positive Control: Starch
Negative Control: Student Must Select
1. What were your controls for this experiment? What did they demonstrate? Why was saliva included in this experiment?
2. What is the function of amylase? What does amylase do to starch?
3. Which of the foods that you tested contained amylase? Which did not? What experimental evidence supports your claim?
4. Saliva does not contain amylase until babies are two months old. How could this affect an infant’s digestive requirements?
5. Digestive enzymes in the gut include proteases, which digest proteins. Why don’t these enzymes digest the stomach and small intestine, which are partially composed of protein?
Experiment 2: Effect of temperature on enzyme activity (15 pts)
Table 2: Record the effect of temperature on the production of gas
(°C) Balloon Circumference
(Uninflated in cm)
(Inflated in cm)
2 (room temp)
1. What is the enzyme in this experiment? What is the substrate?
2. What is the independent (IV) and dependent (DV) variables in this study?
3. How does temperature affect enzyme function?
4. How can enzyme activity be increased?
5. In general, how would an increase in substrate alter enzyme activity? Draw or insert a graph to illustrate this relationship.
6. Draw a graph using balloon diameter vs. temperature. You may use Excel, then “Insert” the graph, or use another drawing program. You may also draw it neatly by hand and scan your drawing. You would need to insert the scanned jpg image here, in that case. What is the correlation shown on your graph?
7. Design an experiment to determine the optimal temperature for enzyme function, complete with controls. Be sure to state your hypothesis, describe your design, dissect your variables (IV/DV), and predict your results. When you describe your design, be sure to explain where you will find the enzymes for this experiment and what substrate you will use.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.