Quiz 6 Study Guide, Asian Americans
OPEN: Friday February 26, 7 am to 10 pm, TIMING OF QUIZ: 30 minutes
Based on Module 6 Videos, Powerpoints, and assigned readings in Fong (Chpt. 1, pp. 17-37) and Dhingra, (Chpt. 3, pp. 38-56). There are 25 questions randomly selected from among those listed below.
1. How did Angel Island in San Francisco, where most Asian arrived, differ from Ellis Island in New York City, where most Europeans arrived, in the 1900-1930 era?
2. Which of the following is FALSE about Angel Island?
3. What is true about Chinese working to build the transcontinental railway?
4. Why were the Chinese Americans in the U.S. during 1880-1950 called a “bachelor society”?
5. What triggered a massive national anti-Chinese movement in the United States in the late 1870s?
6. During the building of railroads in the late 1800s in Western states, Chinese laborers were …
7. The “Golden Mountain” video notes that immigrants from China:
9. A major law affecting Asian immigration was the 1934 Tydings-McDuffie Act. What did this law say as outlined in Chapter 2 in Dhingra and the powerpoint?
10. One of the most famous people in the history of California was Mr. Leyland Stanford. He was the governor of California in 1861, builder of the railroad and industrialist, U.S. Senator, and founder of Stanford University. What were his views on immigration from Asia?
11. The video clip on Asian immigrant in the 1970s showcases Jerry Yang. What was his experience immigrating?
12. What is the central idea in the “Social Network” immigration theory?
13. About 9.5 million people from Asia migrated to the U.S. between 1966 and 2009. Which of the following is TRUE about this migration?
14. What stimulated the influx of over 1 million Asian Americans from Southeast Asia?
15. What is true about America’s immigrant control laws that started in 1882?
16. What is true about the people who migrated from China during the period 1840-1880?
17. The Dual Labor Market theory of immigration builds on the idea that the U.S. economy does has one labor market but two, a primary labor market, and a secondary labor market. What are characteristics of the primary labor market?
18. What is true of the Chinese who migrated to California and other Pacific states in the 1850s-1870s?
19. The well-known PUSH-PULL theory of immigration has been around for over a century. While it makes common sense, it has several flaws. What is one of its flaws?
20. The video “Golden Mountain” gives you many aspects of the life of Mr. Yung Wing, the Yale educated Chinese man who greatly assimilated to American society. He became a Christian and a U.S. citizen very early, married a white woman, and lived in New England. What was his role when a wave of hateful anti-Chinese hysteria swept across the U.S. in the late 1870s-early 1880s?
21.What is the true about the women from China who went to Idaho in the 1840s-50s as shown in the Golden Mountain video?
22. In what year did the United States end a system of immigration that was largely based on admitting people based on the person’s race?
23. Today, on what basis do most Asian people enter the U.S. as legal immigrants?
24. Which U.S. immigration law allowed more Asians into the U.S., but that was not its intent.
25. What were the acceptable reasons for immigration into the U.S. with the 1976 Nationalization and Immigration Law and how did entry of people from Asia change?
26. In what year was the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act repealed?
27. What did the Ozawa v. U.S. court ruling of 1922 say?
28. What was the “1907 Gentleman’s Agreement” and what did it do?
29. Of South Asians who immigrated in the period 1904-1911, 80-90% were of one religious group, what was it?
30. Fong discusses the importance of sex-ratio differences in Asian immigration before 1965. During pre 1965 immigration era, what was the sex ratio of immigrants to the U.S. from the China, Korea, and the Philippines?
31. According to Fong (Chapter 1), how did global restructuring after the 1970s influence Asian migration to the U.S.?
32. As Fong notes, before the 1940s there was a large imbalance in the sex ratio of immigrants from Asia. Which one of these early Asian immigrant groups was an exception. They DID NOT have far more males than females but had a more balanced sex ratio and was able to increase population, start families and establish community life?
33. Fong cites data that between 1985 and 2000, foreign born students earned a majority of science and engineering PhDs at US universities. More significant, over 50% of the science & engineering PhD went to people from 4 Asian countries. Which of the following is NOT one of those countries?
34. During World War II, Fong notes that compared to Japanese Americans, the Chinese Americans
35. Fong outlines 4 differences between early Japanese and Chinese immigration. Comparing early (pre 1920) Chinese with Japanese migration to the U.S., which of the following is a difference?
36. In 1870, Fong notes that the Chinese were about what percent of all workers in the state of California?
37. Which Asian country is the largest source of foreign nurses to the U.S. (about 29% of the 49,000 foreign nurses)? As Fong notes, they are generally better educated and have higher job satisfaction than their American born counterparts?
38. According to Table 1-1 in Fong, 85.7% of immigrants from Asia arrived after 1971. The vast majority (over 70%) of immigrants from most Asian nations came after 1971, with one major EXCEPTION. What one Asian group had less than half of its people in the U.S. immigrate after 1971 (because more arrived before 1971)?
39. Filipino and Asian Indians who came to the U.S. in the 1965 to 1975 era tended to have what type of occupation?
40. What type of immigrants are called sojourners?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.