Lab 3: Demographics
Fill this sheet out and submit via the link given in Blackboard.
· Begin by going to the following website: https://www.learner.org/courses/envsci/interactives/demographics/
· Then click the link labeled Open Simulator.
· This will bring up a simulator, which is pre-loaded with demographic data from various countries.
Part 1. Age Structure Diagrams
1. Using the tool provided on the website, examine the 2015 population, the growth rate, and the age structure diagram for each of the following countries. Match the overall profile of the age structure diagram to one of the shapes given below.
Table of Age Structure Shapes to Match
2. Without changing any of the default settings for the country of interest, click the Step button 7 times, which advances the simulation to the year 2050. (Each click of the step button advanced the simulation 5 years).
Write down the predicted population for 2050, as well as age structure shape that most closely matches the simulation.
Enter all the data in the following data table:
Age Structure Shape
Overall Growth Rate
Age Structure Shape
Overall Growth Rate
3. What clues from the shape of the age structure diagram tell you whether a population has positive or negative growth rates?
4. In our textbook, Figure 16.12 (p. 324) designates individuals in the ages of 0-14 as “pre-reproductive individuals”, and individuals between the ages of 15 and 44 as “reproductive individuals”. Explain how we can get some idea of whether a population is growing or shrinking by comparing the population levels of pre-reproductive individuals to reproductive individuals.
Part 2. Population Momentum
Call up the information for Nigeria (which is growing at a high rate). Enter the editing menu for the vital rates of birth by clicking on the pencil that is shown in the vital rates chart. When you get into the menu for editing the birth rates, look at the “Use rates from ______” feature. Use the pull down menu to select the values for the United States (which has a lower birth rate).
Simulate what would happen if Nigeria were to suddenly have the birth rates of the United States. Click the Step button 7 times, which advances the simulation to the year 2050.
5. What happens to the population immediately after the birth rate is abruptly dropped in this simulation?
6. After the birth rate went down abruptly, in this simulation, at what point in the future did the simulation show that the population was leveling off or starting to decrease?
7. Why doesn’t the population level drop immediately when the birth rate is thus diminished?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.