For this discussion topic, we’ll be taking on the Getty Museum Challenge! I’ve seen this all over social media and the news and I could not resist having you all take it on as well!
The Getty Museum Challenge inspires all of us to take on visual art and bring it to life by US! Please read the Getty article before watching the video:
edu/iris/getty-artworks-recreated-with-household-items-by-creative-geniuses-the-world-over/” class=”external” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener”>https://blogs.getty.edu/iris/getty-artworks-recreated-with-household-items-by-creative-geniuses-the-world-over/ (Links to an external site.)
Now that you have read the article, watch this video from PBS’s News Hour, to get more of an idea of what the challenge is about.
For this assignment, please read the section in the textbook:
Ch 2; Formal Elements, from Line…….all the way to Unity and Variety.
For the hardcopy textbook: Reference Chapter 2, pages 24- 45.
In addition to the video and blog link above.
Now that you have read the article (Links to an external site.) and watched the video above, you are ready to create your own image! Be sure to read the requirements below:
1. First watch the video and read the article; they will help by giving some tips, who to enlist and how to frame the photograph.
2. Follow the steps that the article blog outlines.
3. You may choose an artwork from our text book OR from the Getty Museum.
4. Replicate it with yourself, your pets, family, or other household elements. Please to not attempt to draw or paint the artwork, remember that the idea is to create the same color layout or object re-creation.
5. Please do not upload a file of any sort; instead embed your images directly into the text of your assignment.
For your post:
- The images. Your post should include your image and the image of the artwork that you are creating. Here’s an image form the Getty website:
- Title, artist, medium, date: of the artwork that you are “re-creating”.
- Describe your process on how you chose the art work, and then staged your “re-creation”. Please describe in detail. This description should be at least one paragraph.
Self-Portrait, Yawning, by 1783, Joseph Ducreux. Oil on canvas, 46 3/8 x 35 3/4 in. The J. Paul Getty Museum, 71.PA.56. Re-creation on Instagram by Paul Morris with British redcoat and twisty towel (Links to an external site.)
Replies due on Sunday September 27
Please reply to two students. (see Syllabus for Reply requirements). Replies may be text or video.
Filter replies by unread