Help me study for my Writing class. I’m stuck and don’t understand.
In this assignment, you will improve some aspect of Wikipedia’s content relating to sustainability, climate change, or a related topic. This may be as simple as fixing a typo or adding a link or scholarly reference, or it may be as complex as adding an entirely new paragraph or even a new page (if you feel that there is a significant gap in Wikipedia’s coverage of a topic).
Three examples of errors/gaps in the live version of Wikipedia are included below. Please don’t fix any of the below for now, so other members of the class can see them on the live site.
Example 1: Typo: The following page includes a typo: “Road emissions declined by 2% frpm 2018 to 2019” should be “Road emissions declined by 2% from 2018 to 2019”.
Example 2: Missing link: This page includes a quotation without proper citation. The quote ending “estimates of natural variability.” should link to this article:
Example 2: Missing link: This page discusses New Zealand’s Fair Trade Act, but that term is plain text, rather than being linked to the Wikipedia page about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_farming_in_New_Zealand (Links to an external site.)
This page could be improved by adding a hyperlink from that term to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Trading_Act_1986 (Links to an external site.)
Your task in this assignment involves completing all of the following steps:
2) By Wednesday, October 21 – find an error (e.g., typo) or gap in coverage (e.g., missing link, missing reference, incomplete content) in one of the many dozens of relevant pages that you can reach via one of the two categories below:
or some other Wikipedia page relevant to this course.
3) Look at the “Talk” and “View History” pages for that Wikipedia page, so that you have a context for the page and how it developed. (For example, are people already arguing about the item you’re about to edit?)
I attached pictures from my professor check picture 1, it is a sample page showing location of “Talk” and “View History” tabs.
4) Assuming that your proposed edit would not be at odds with discussions in the Talk page, improve Wikipedia by clicking “Edit” and correcting the error of filling the gap. You will need also need to write a few words in the “Edit Summary” box, where you describe why you made the change. Note that if you have arrived at a page that does not have the edit button this page may be “semi-protected” and is unavailable for edit and you should find a different page.
I attached pictures from my professor check picture 2, it is a sample page showing location of edit tab.
5) Write a brief essay (approximately 200-300 words) about the process of editing Wikipedia. What are the strengths and weaknesses of having this large sociotechnical system be editable by anyone? Did the process of editing it make you trust Wikipedia more or less? Why?
Please Include a link to the URL of the page you edited.
Please also go to the “View History” page and include the log of your edit at the bottom of the essay. It will look something like this: ” 18:02, 23 September 2019 126.96.36.199 talk 19,262 bytes +21 Attempting to improve grammar/wording on sentence.”
I attached pictures from my professor check picture 3, Highlighted section showing an example log of a previous edit.
6) At least one day after step 2 above – check to see if your edit is still present on the live version of Wikipedia. (Wikipedia has many volunteer editors who review contributions and delete them if they’re problematic or poorly done.) If your edit was deleted, please add ~100 words to your essay describing why you believe it was deleted, and whether the deletion was fair. If it was not deleted, simply write “My edit was not deleted.”
7) Turn in your completed essay by the due date listed below.
I also attached Wikipedia Edit Rubric below.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.