Start the Virtual Lab and maximize the screen if you wish. Answer the following questions
1. Where are antibodies found?
2. How can they be used in the laboratory?
3. What does ELISA stand for?
4. What are ELISA assays used for in labs?
5. What are the three important limitations of an ELISA? Explain each.
1. What test can be used to determine whether a patient has an infectious or autoimmune disease?
2. What does a positive result indicate?
3. The watery fluid of the blood is called ____________________.
4. What is allowed to react with the target antigen?
5. Detection is possible when _________________________________________________.
6. Once isolated, the secondary antibody can be ____________________________________
7. What is the signaling system?
8. What happens when the appropriate chemical (substrate) is added?
9. How is the test quantified?
10. What does the amount of color reflect?
Proceed through the entire lab simulation protocol. Be sure to read the captions below the pictures (left side) and the information in the lab notebook (right side). Be sure to “start over” to begin the lab. You CANNOT skip any steps. Answer the following questions as you proceed.
1. What is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)?
2. From Figure 1 (click on it), what are the four steps of an ELISA protocol?
3. In step 1, you centrifuge the samples. What does a centrifuge do?
4. What are you preparing in step 2? Why are there three different solutions?
5. In steps 3 and 4, you prepare an ELISA plate. What has the ELISA plate been pretreated with? Why?
a. What is the positive control? (Step 4)
b. What is a primary antibody? Please define.
c. What is the negative control? (Step 4)
d. Why is it necessary to have a positive and a negative control? (Step 4)
6. Why incubate the plate in step 5?
7. Next, in step 6, the plate is washed. Why wash the plate?
8. In step 7, a secondary antibody is added. What is a secondary antibody? Please define.
a. What is the attached enzyme in this assay? (Step 7)
b. What is the specific substrate for HRP? What color does it produce? (Step 7)
9. How can the yellow color be quantitatively measured? At what wavelength? (Step 10, in “why”)
10. Record your results. Indicate on this page and on the computer which boxes turned color.
11. Did you complete the ELISA correctly? (Yes/No) __________
If yes, proceed to #12 and #14.
If no, proceed to #13 and #14.
12. What do the results indicate about:
13. Explain what you did wrong and what you will need to do next time. For more information, check your printable summary page. Did your incorrect procedure provide you any results? Explain what went wrong.
14. This virtual lab was testing for lupus. How is this same test used to test for the presence of HIV? If the results for an HIV test were the same as in this exercise, what would they indicate about the three patients?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.