Assignment 4This covers Unit IV Geologic Time in the textbook (Chapter 8).
Matching (3 points)
1) Match each item with the correct description (there will be one unused description).
A) a fossil organism that is restricted to a certain brief stretch of geologic time, but was widespread and abundant during its time on Earth
B) the notion that we can understand the geologic past by focusing on present day processes and physical laws; geologic change may be slow or gradual
C) an unconformity in which younger sedimentary layers overlie older metamorphic or intrusive igneous rock (sedimentary layers sit on an erosion surface)
D) the defunct notion that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and that all geologic change is accomplished rapidly through violent events
E) fossil tree sap
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question. (3 points each)
Numbers 2, 3, and 4: Examine the figure above that shows the sequence of strata in three Colorado Plateau national parks (page 282 in textbook).
2) Which unit(s) are shared by Grand Canyon National Park and Zion National Park?
A) Moenkopi and Chinle B) Toroweap and Kaibab
C) Kaibab only D) Kaibab and Monekopi
3) If the Wingate Sandstone was deposited in the Triassic period, the Navajo Sandstone in the late Triassic through early Jurassic, and the Carmel Formation in the Jurassic, a visitor to Bryce Canyon National Park shouldn’t expect to find any strata older than the ________ period.
A) Permian B) Triassic C) Tertiary D) Cretaceous
4) Since the Moenkopi Formation was deposited at the end of the Permian period and the very beginning of the Triassic, and the Navajo Sandstone was deposited at the end of the Triassic and into the Jurassic, what is the age of the Chinle Formation?
A) Triassic B) Jurassic C) Permian D) Cambrian
5) “This rock is fifteen million years old,” is an example of ________.
A) the principle of cross-cutting relationships B) superposition
C) a numerical date D) a relative date
6) Which of the following geologic observations would NOT bear directly on working out the sequence of geologic events in an area?
A) a well-exposed dike of basalt in sandstone
B) an unconformity between a granite and sandstone
C) inclusions of sandstone in a granite pluton
D) the feldspar and quartz contents of a granite
7) A worm would stand a poor chance of being fossilized because ________.
A) worms contain no carbon-14 B) worms live in the shallow ocean
C) worms have no hard parts D) worms were very rare during the geologic past
8) Using the known rates of radioactive decay to date the crystallization of certain minerals is known as ________ dating.
A) relative B) fossil assemblage C) conventional D) radiometric
Fill in the blank. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question. (2 points each)
9) A lava flow includes fragments of limestone in it. Which rock unit is older, the lava flow or the limestone? ________
10) A sandstone is found to overlie a shale. The shale contains a volcanic ash layer that has been radiometrically dated to 84 million years ago. Both the shale and the sandstone are cut by a pluton of gabbro that has been dated to 60 million years old. How old is the sandstone layer? ________
11) The amount of time it takes for half of the remaining radioactive isotopes to decay is the ________ of a isotope system.
12) Would a pigeon or a penguin make a better index fossil for the present day? ________
13) All else being equal, in a horizontal sequence of sedimentary rock layers, each higher bed is younger than the bed below it. This idea is the principle of ________.
14) The process by which geologists identify and match sedimentary strata and other rocks of the same ages in different areas is ________.
15) When radioactive potassium-40 decays, the stable daughter isotope ________ is produced.
16) A(n) ________ is an erosional unconformity with parallel beds or strata above and below.
#9-16 Vocabulary (extra words and/or phrases are included, not all will be used)
younger than 60 million years old
between 84 and 60 million years old
older than 84 million years old
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.