7702 AFE Accounting for Accountability
ASSIGNMENT 1- TP 4, 2021
The purpose of this assignment is twofold. First, it enables you to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of Accounting Standards. Second, it gives you an opportunity to synthesize your knowledge through a self-reflection on understanding financial statements.
Students are required to complete this task individually. The assignment is worth of 30% of the final grade.
General Instructions to answer the assignment
● There are two parts to complete in this assignment:
v Part A: Application of Accounting Standards and Corporate Governance Principles: See the details in this document. Word limit 1700
v Part B: Reflective note. Word limit 300
● Marks: The assignment will be marked out of 30 as follows:
– Part A – marked out of 27
– Part B – marked out of 3
● All answers must use proper English expression and grammar. Please ensure that you Complete the requirements as set out in this document.
● Late submission: An assessment item submitted after the due date, without an approved extension, will be penalised. To understand how the mark is reduced please refer to Assessment Submission and Return Procedures.
Part A: Application of Accounting Standards and Corporate Governance Principles
A1: Inventory 8 marks
Australian Accounting Standard AASB102, Inventories, requires inventory to be measured at the lower of cost or net realisable value (paragraph 9).
Referring to Bellamy’s Organic Annual Report 2019 from the assessment tab:
1. Outline what method has been used by the company to measure the value of its inventory?
2. What are the different types of inventories reported by Bellamy’s in its 2019 annual report?
3. Under Note 9, (page 67), the company reports an inventory provision of $6.563 million (in 2018 $10.004 million). Explain what does this inventory provision mean? Why did the inventory provision decrease during 2019 compared to 2018?
4. How does the inventory provision affect the value of inventory in the balance sheet?
5. Why might a manager who receives a bonus based on the reported profit tend to record a lower level of provision for inventory?
6. Do you think the valuation of inventory requires subjective judgements? Why or why not?
7. Refer to page 102 of the Bellamy’s Annual Report 2019. What reasons have the auditors mentioned for identifying the valuation of inventory as a key audit matter?
A2: Intangible assets and Goodwill 7 marks
Australian Accounting Standard AASB138, Intangible Assets, defines an intangible asset as an identifiable non-monetary asset without physical substance (paragraph 8). The Accounting Standard includes Goodwill as an intangible asset.
Refer to the Mayne Pharma Annual Report 2020 from the assessment tab:
In the Balance Sheet, (p.41) as at 30 June 2020, you can see that Intangible assets and goodwill has increased substantially from the prior year. Note 13 of the financial statements will assist you in answering the following questions:
1. Describe the ‘intangible assets’ for Mayne Pharma for the 2020 financial year.
2. Explain the potential possible reasons for the increase in the goodwill and intangible assets balance.
3. The company has recorded amortisation expenditure on intangible assets. What is the difference between amortisation expense and impairment expense?
4. How many cash generating units (CGU) the company has identified for impairment testing of goodwill and intangible assets?
5. Which CGU has the highest buffer against possible impairment charge based on the test that the company has conducted?
6. Which CGU is the most sensitive to the adverse changes in the key estimates and assumptions (changes in net sales growth, terminal growth rate, and weighted average cost of capital)?
7. How could managers manipulate the outcome of the impairment test?
A3: Corporate Governance Principles 12 marks
The questions below require an application of specific sections of the Corporate Governance Principles to the corporate governance statements made by ASX listed organisation Bega Cheese Ltd in its annual report 2019.
Referring to the ASX Corporate Governance principles (4th ed), specifically Principle 2, review the 2019 Bega Cheese Ltd Corporate Governance statements and the Annual Report of 2019 and critically evaluate compliance with the following recommendations:
(a) 2.2 A listed entity should have and disclose a board skills matrix setting out the mix of skills that the board currently has or is looking to achieve in its membership
(b) 2.4 A majority of the board of a listed entity should be independent directors.
(c) 2.5 The chair of the board of a listed entity should be an independent director and, in particular, should not be the same person as the CEO of the entity.
(d) 4.1 (a) have an audit committee which: (1) has at least three members, all of whom are non-executive directors and a majority of whom are independent directors; and (2) is chaired by an independent director, who is not the chair of the board.
Part B: Reflective note 3 marks
Reflective writing is a way of thinking to explore your personal development with learning content (e.g. case study, lecture topics). A reflective note encourages you to gain self-knowledge and achieve clarity and better understanding of your thought. Describe your personal reflection of your learning outcomes from Module 1 and 2.
Access relevant annual reports from the assignment tab
Mayne Pharma Annual Report 2020
Bega Cheese Limited Annual Report 2019
Bellamy’s Organic Annual Report 2019
Bega Cheese Limited Corporate Governance Statement
|PART A: Demonstrate an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||The student has shown a very high level of ability in demonstrating an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||The student has shown a high level of ability in demonstrating an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||The student has shown a good ability in demonstrating an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||The student has shown some ability in demonstrated an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||The student has shown limited ability in demonstrating an understanding of judgement and accounting standards used to prepare financial information||/27|
|PART B: Reflective note||The student has shown a very high level of ability in conveying their concept of accounting||The student has shown a high level of ability in conveying their concept of accounting.||The student has shown a good ability in conveying their concept of accounting||The student has shown some ability in conveying their concept of accounting.||The student has shown limited ability in conveying their concept of accounting.||/3|
|TOTAL and comments||/30|
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.